People love to complain. It’s often easier to complain than to consider all the things for which we are thankful. However, taking the time to appreciate our blessings leaves us feeling happier, more content and more positive.
If you want, you can try reflecting on your blessings and writing them down every day or as often as you would like.
Here’s a list of free wonders life offers that we often take for granted.
- Knowledge. Thanks to the Internet, information from all over the world is easier to access than ever. However, we often use the Internet for useless tasks that don’t make us smarter or happier. The Internet is an incredible tool, and we should use it wisely. Instead of wasting time looking at memes, watching shows and checking social media sites every five seconds, use the Internet to your advantage. Hone your skills and learn new ones. Be thankful for books. Educate yourself about the world around you, and be thankful for your mentors, teachers and professors.
- Laughter. It’s the best sound in the world. It also feels great to make people laugh, so loosen up, crack a joke once in a while and learn to laugh at yourself. Sometimes it’s good to make fun of yourself, as long as you’re doing so in a healthy way. Laughter is also completely free of charge, and it’s universal across countries, cultures, religions and races. Humor isn’t always universal, but laughter is.
- Written language. Think of all the things we’ve learned from the written word. We’ve learned about history from historical documents, and we’ve learned about scientific findings. Reading the news informs us about what is going on in the world. If we didn’t have written language, we wouldn’t know much. 26 percent of adults around the world are illiterate, and two-third’s of the world’s illiterate adults are women. Education and the ability to read are wonderful gifts.
- Love. The love of significant others, family and friends is one of the best feelings in the world. It also feels great to love others. Sometimes love is difficult, but if you are in a stable, healthy relationship with a significant other, friend or family member, maintaining the love you share is worth facing your hardships together. Let your loved ones know you love and appreciate them through your words and actions, and don’t ever take them for granted. If you do, you might push them away.
- Life. The mere fact we are breathing is an incredible gift. Don’t waste it, and don’t blame others if your life isn’t going well. Think about how you can make your life better today in this moment. Try not to dwell on the past or fret about the future. Don’t feel guilty when you make time to relax by yourself, but work hard. Make the best of each moment. Start now.
- Food. Many people all over the world don’t know where their next meal is coming from. About 17 percent of working Americans don’t have enough to eat. Volunteer and donate food at your local food pantry, and be thankful for the food you eat.
- Nature. Bird songs, fireflies, cricket chirps, fireflies, mountains, water, and the beauty of sunrises and sunsets can relax and refresh you. Spend time outside and soak up fresh air and vitamin D.
- Music. Since music is more accessible now than ever, it’s easy to take for granted. Though we don’t always realize the impact music has on us, we all have that one song that gives us chills every time. We listen to music when we want to feel something, so crank up your happiest tunes and count your blessings.